Friday, August 8, 2014

Berry Berry Goood!


Mumbai is home to a lot of Parsi/Iranian families and the Parsi/ Iranian culture that you'll find in this city, is distinctively more than anywhere else in the country. Food and cuisine, I believe, is a very integral part of any culture.That being said there are a lot of Parsi/ Iranian cafés in this city where you can go and give your taste buds a twirl of excitement. One such famous place, right in the heart of Ballard Estate, is Britannia & Company Restaurant, aka Britannia Café.


At the first look Britannia Café gives you the feeling of an old regular place - ordinary wooden tables and chairs, no air conditioning- a place which couldn't care less about interiors and decors in today's times- when “ambience” is the selling point of most places. However, one could say that this adds to the old-is-gold charm of this place. I would say it is a relic of Mumbai's colonial era! Having been in business for almost 90 years now (started in 1923; you can read the history of Britannia Café here), this Iranian café is truly one of those legendary eateries that has stayed in the hearts of so many Mumbaikars and continues to win over many more. I had been wanting to go to Britannia for quite a while now and was jubilant when last weekend the plan finally materialized.

We reached the place and were asked to have our names added to the waiting list. There were quite a few people waiting outside the café along with us but thanks to the quick service, we were seated in about 20 minutes. A very old Parsi uncle (I think he was the owner) came and greeted us warmly and took down our order. A little reading up on the Internet tells me that he is usually seen walking around the café and taking orders. I have to say that this personal touch really gives Britannia brownie points.

It goes without saying that we ordered the famed Chicken Berry Pulao (Rs. 450) and Lime Soda (Rs. 100). It took about 5-10 minutes for them to serve us and oh my, were we in for a treat! The Chicken Berry Pulao, is a regular chicken pulao with a surprise of soft chunky pieces of chicken, fried slightly-burnt onions, nuts and the Iranian berries, which I'd like to refer to as the Mysterious Iranian Berries. First bite----- I was in heaven. The tanginess of the Mysterious Iranian Berries, the onions, nuts and chicken gravy blended in so perfectly that my eyes automatically shut so that I could savour the flavours that were in my mouth without any distractions. "This is so good," were the first words that came out of my mouth. But that was just the first bite. This is one of those toothsome dishes that is so delicious, so comforting, and provides a combination of such exciting flavours that I would aptly like to quote Lay's tagline here- "Ek baar khaaoge toh khaate reh jaaoge, no one can eat just one. *ting ting*". Also, rumour has it that these Mysterious Iranian Berries are imported all the way from Iran. Exotic eh? Needless to say, we polished the plate clean.
Chicken Berry Pulao- Rs. 450 a plate
Lime Soda- Rs. 100
The Lime Soda was a good thirst quencher and an ideal accompaniment to the Chicken Berry Pulao.

Caramel Custard- Rs. 120
Next on the list was the caramel custard (Rs. 120). Now, a lot of caramel custard has gone down my gullet, in different eateries and I have even prepared it at home, so this is not something that should have taken my breath away- but it did! The caramel, so perfectly cooked, left a delightful aftertaste in my mouth. Indeed this was one of the best caramel custards I have ever tasted. I experienced an "mmmm" moment!

The service here is quick, as already pointed out. They are very old school about their billing- no card payment, no printed bills. The weather was pleasant at the time we visited, with a little rain here and there, so we didn’t mind the fact that this place was not air conditioned. If planning to visit, please note that they are open only from 11 am to 4 pm and are closed on Sundays.


Will I go here again?- Definitely for the Chicken Berry Pulao and the Caramel Custard. Also to try out the Salli Boti and Mutton Berry Pulao about which I have heard so much. They also had a special menu featuring Persian sweets (something that I might want to try the next time I go there).This place is a total winner in terms of the food that they serve and while writing this piece I have been drooling at the thought of visiting it again.

Where is it? Wakefield House, 11 Sprott Road, 16 Ballard Estate, Fort, call 022 22615264, 022 30225264

1 comment: